[Air-L] New article: ‘Open source has won and lost the war’

Mathieu.O'Neil Mathieu.O'neil at canberra.edu.au
Tue Mar 24 04:57:12 PDT 2020

Hi all

Some people might be interested in a new article dealing with how FOSS has been adopted by commercial firms. FWIW others are also active in this research area at the moment (see Birkinbine 2020, Lund & Zukerfeld 2020).

cheers
Mathieu

‘Open source has won and lost the war’: Legitimising commercial–communal hybridisation in a FOSS project by Mathieu O’Neil, Laure Muselli, Mahin Raissi and Stefano Zacchiroli, New Media & Society.

Summary: Information technology (IT) firms are paying developers in Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) projects, leading to the emergence of hybrid forms of work. In order to understand how the firm–project hybridisation process occurs, we present the results of an online survey of participants in the Debian project, as well as interviews with Debian Developers. We find that the intermingling of the commercial logic of the firm and the communal logic of the project requires rhetorical legitimation. We analyse the discourses used to legitimise firm–project cooperation as well as the organisational mechanisms which facilitate this cooperation. A first phase of legitimation, based on firm adoption of open licenses and developer self-fulfilment, aims to erase the commercial/communal divide. A second more recent phase seeks to professionalise work relations inside the project and, in doing so, challenges the social order which restricts participation in FOSS. Ultimately, hybridisation raises the question of the fair distribution of the profits firms derive from FOSS.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1461444820907022?journalCode=nmsa

The preprint is available here: https://upsilon.cc/~zack/research/publications/
[UC Logo]<http://www.canberra.edu.au>

[UC ranked 10th of universities in Australia]

[UC Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/UniversityOfCanberra>[UC Twitter]<https://twitter.com/UniCanberra>[UC Instagram]<https://www.instagram.com/unicanberra/>[UC Linkedin]<https://au.linkedin.com/school/university-of-canberra/>[UC Youtube]<https://www.youtube.com/user/uniofcanberra>    [University of Canberra] <http://www.canberra.edu.au>

Australian Government Higher Education Registered Provider (CRICOS) #00212K

The University of Canberra acknowledges the Ngunnawal people, traditional custodians of the lands where Bruce Campus is situated. We wish to acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of Canberra and the region. We also acknowledge all other First Nations Peoples on whose lands we gather.

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential or copyright materials and are for the attention of the addressee only. If you have received this email in error please notify us by email reply and delete it from your system. The University of Canberra accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.