[Air-L] Critiques of Academic Scholarship

Sugar, Benjamin Nathan bsugar at iu.edu
Tue Mar 24 13:52:04 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I’m having difficulty finding some literature on critiques of academia.  Key words tend to bring up “critical theory” which I’m sure includes this topic somewhere but it’s a pretty large haystack.

Ideally, what I’m looking for are performative aspects of writing which create authorized speech, knowledge production, and expertise.  Sort of the Archeology of Knowledge or Signature Event Context/Limited Inc. but applied specifically to academic writing. Style, citations, minimization of limitations, peer review, to name a few.

Quantitative work would be great too, for example:

Self-citation is the hallmark of productive authors, of any gender<https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0195773&type=printable>

Or, the non-parody version of this:

Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials<https://www.unav.edu/documents/16089811/16216616/parachute-+TRIAL+BMJ.pdf>

A literature review would be incredible.

In short, any works that if taken seriously to their logical conclusion, would result in a serious loss of sleep due to existential angst.

Thanks for your help,

Benjamin