[Air-L] alternatives to closed, secret Facebook groups?

Sanjay Sharma (Staff) Sanjay.Sharma at brunel.ac.uk
Mon Nov 23 13:02:29 PST 2020

Hello Charles

If you're looking for a privacy-centred chat space, then 'element' (aka 'riot') using the matrix protocol is fairly solid. https://riot.im/app/#/welcome Though may not be the most-user friendly.

Also, there's the well-established 'discourse' (forum type software) that connects to email well, which can be self-hosted.

I wish more of us made a commitment to avoid relying on services provided by Big Tech. Although not easy to do in terms of convenience.

best regards
Sanjay

Dr Sanjay Sharma
Reader
Department of Social & Political Sciences (MJRD156)
College of Business, Arts & Social Sciences
Brunel University
http://www.brunel.ac.uk/people/sanjay-sharma<http://www.brunel.ac.uk/sss/sociology/staff-profiles/sanjay-sharma>
darkmatter Journal<http://www.darkmatter101.org/> editor
twitter: @sanjay_digital<https://twitter.com/sanjay_digital>