[Air-L] CfP: Materialities Roundtable - 2020 Critical Mediations Salon Series

Paulina Lanz paulina.lanz at usc.edu
Thu Oct 1 16:28:08 PDT 2020

With apologies for cross-posting

*Deadline: 6 October 2020*

Dear list members,

On behalf of the Critical Mediations Conference Committee, I am pleased to
share the Call for Participation for the second part of the 2020 Critical
Mediations <https://www.criticalmediations.org/> Salon Series:

*CALL FOR PARTICIPATIONCritical Mediations Salon Series #2: Materialities*

We invite researchers and practitioners that do critical research to
reflect on the role of materiality in their work. From theoretical
provocations that recognize “the curious ability of inanimate things to
animate, to act, to produce effects dramatic and subtle” to how these
effects reorganize our day to day, materiality provides a unique
perspective to look at fields of critical inquiry. (Bennett 2009: 6)

The precarity of our time and space (living through a global pandemic/ an
election year for some/ a reckoning of privilege and power in racist
institutions/ the eleventh hour of climate change to name a few) has also
changed our relationship with materiality. As Bill Brown posits “we begin
confronting the thingness of objects when they stop working for us: when
the drill breaks, when the car stalls, when the windows get filthy, when
their flow within the circuits of production and distribution, consumption
and exhibition, has been arrested, however momentarily.” (Brown 2001:4) *How
does materiality inform your research/practice/art? How does it crop up in
examinations of archives, policy, data, public life, imagination?*

*Please submit a short abstract of how materiality articulates with your
work in the linked form <https://forms.gle/2TktyAfeG6cJfWyVA> by midnight
(PST) on Tuesday, October 6th.*

*Important Dates:*

   - Participation Deadline                  Tuesday, October 6th at
   midnight (PST)
   - Mystery Artifact Release              Monday, October 19th
   - CM Salon Series: Materialities     Monday, October 26th at 12pm (PST)
   - 1 hour session

The Call for Participation can be found here
<https://mailchi.mp/fe470733b9d6/cfp_materialities>.

We would be delighted to see how different fields are working through these
topics.

In solidarity,
Paulina Lanz
On behalf of the Critical Mediations Conference Committee

*-*
*Paulina Lanz*
Doctoral Fellow | *USC* Annenberg
Organizer | *Critical Mediations <http://criticalmediations.org/>*