[Air-L] Invitation: Digital Research Pedagogies fishbowl/online session (23 October 2020)

Tim Highfield t.j.highfield at sheffield.ac.uk
Sun Oct 18 08:20:33 PDT 2020

Dear all,

You are invited to join a live online event as part of our fishbowl on
‘Digital Research Pedagogies’ for this year’s AoIR2020 conference (see our
initial provocations video in playlist 04 – 'Internet research: Sources,
methods, pedagogies'). Hosted by the Digital Intimacy, Gender and Sexuality
(DIGS) Lab at Concordia University (https://www.digslab.net/) and led by
scholars from North America, Europe, and Australia, this session will take
place on Friday 23 October 2020 at 20:00 UTC / 16:00 east coast North
America / 13:00 west coast North America. While not quite replicating the
in-person fishbowl experience, this event is intended as a discussion with
interested researchers and teachers, and we invite participation from
across the AoIR community. A full description of the event follows below.

Speakers:
Stefanie Duguay, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
Ariadna Matamoros-Fernandez, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane,
Australia
Pablo Rodrigo Velasco González, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Tim Highfield, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Fenwick McKelvey, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada

Register for the event here:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/digital-research-pedagogies-tickets-121216322283.
A Zoom link will be sent out to registered attendees prior to the event.

Friday 23 October: 20:00 UTC / 16:00 EDT / 13:00 PDT / Saturday 24 October
07:00 AEDT

About this event:

As part of our fishbowl session at the Association of Internet Researchers’
(AoIR) 2020 Conference, this live online session invites discussion of how
to teach about digital research and its associated methodological
approaches. As internet scholars, we develop and engage with new methods
for researching digitally mediated life and digital technologies, even as
they are ever-changing and updating. We also pass along methods collegially
(such as through the AoIR listserv), in post-secondary classrooms, and
through other forms of knowledge transfer. This pedagogy often necessitates
unconventional and unique approaches that address the realities of digital
research, which include difficulty accessing data, unexplored platforms,
shifting cultures of use, and evolving research tools, among other
complications. Rapid expansion in the realms of Artificial Intelligence and
the Internet of Things further challenge us to make these unfolding areas
intelligible to our students while we simultaneously grapple with how to
study them.

Join us to think through these topics and discuss approaches to teaching
about digital research methods. This session is open to all AoIR attendees
and more broadly to scholars not registered for the conference. The
speakers will pose initial routes of inquiry and open the floor for
discussion as a scholarly community.

--
*Dr Tim Highfield | *Pronouns: he, his
Lecturer in Digital Media & Society

Elmfield, Northumberland Road
Sheffield S10 2TU

*Research projects*
Digital Media, Location Awareness, and the Politics of Geodata
<https://research.qut.edu.au/geoprivacy/> (ARC DP180100174)

*Instagram: Visual Social Media Cultures*
<http://timhighfield.net/research/instagram/> (with Tama Leaver and Crystal
Abidin; Polity, 2020)
*Social Media and Everyday Politics*
<http://timhighfield.net/research/social-media-and-everyday-politics/> (Polity,