[Air-L] Call for Papers/Participation: Against Platform Determinism

Robyn Caplan robyn at datasociety.net
Fri Sep 18 07:46:19 PDT 2020

Dear all,

Data & Society is hosting our first *online* Academic Workshop, Against
Platform Determinism: How institutions, individuals, and infrastructures
mediate platform power.
<https://datasociety.net/announcements/2020/09/15/call-for-participants-against-platform-determinism/?fbclid=IwAR0CYSR3Ky5Lf0G6MnXn9xMuBY_8CeRyo-pJHKHEKRjypVzWTVmTdpGdEhc>
Applications are due on* October 21st, *and the event itself will take
place on *Thursday, January 14, 2021*.

More about the workshop:

This workshop invites scholars to consider how interactions with platform
companies do or do not shape how technologies are designed, and deployed,
and how global users are governed. Though platforms are centralized and
powerful actors, this workshop is intended to explore the existing and
emerging infrastructures, cultures, and organizational forms can shape
decision-making and design or impede platforms’ implementation “on the
ground.” These forces can include users of these platforms, industry
actors, civil society organizations, and government, but it can also
include how existing infrastructures—such as low connectivity areas—can
mediate the impact of technology on communities.

Scholars interested in this topic, from emerging to experts, academics to
activists, all across the globe, are encouraged to apply. We’ll be
selecting authors of *draft/in-progress papers*, as well as participants to
help workshop the drafts. Ample time will be built in for networking and
field building too. We're happy to answer questions at
events at datasociety.net.

Please consider applying and/or spreading the word!

Thank you,

Robyn Caplan, William Partin, and Meredith Clark