[Air-L] PhD in Media, Technology and Democracy

Patricia Aufderheide paufder at american.edu
Fri Sep 18 14:00:38 PDT 2020

I'm excited to announce that even in crazy times, we have fully-funded PhD slots for our accelerated, three-year program. I'm thrilled to get to work with scholars such as Laura DeNardis, Aram Sinnreich, Saif Shahin, Ericka Menchen-Trevino, Filippo Trevisan, Benjamin Stokes, and many more. We collaborate with our law school, our School of International Service, and School of Public Affairs to offer our students the courses they want, in tailored programs. My colleagues have all been such great mentors to our students, who've gotten jobs (and even tenure!) at research and teaching universities, won prestigious postdocs, and gone to work for nonprofits pushing for human rights in the tech sector. Our profs and students all believe that today's urgent issues are located at the intersection of media, technology and democracy--now more than ever. Please spread the word. For an intro to the program, check this out.  <https://www.american.edu/soc/communication-studies/phd/> If they want to jump straight to an application, it's here. <https://american.elluciancrmrecruit.com/ApplySOC/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2fApplySOC%2fApplication%2fApplicationList> And of course I'm always available to field questions, and can also introduce applicants to alums and to current students. Thanks so much!

  <https://american.elluciancrmrecruit.com/ApplySOC/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2fApplySOC%2fApplication%2fApplicationList>
Sign In<https://american.elluciancrmrecruit.com/ApplySOC/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2fApplySOC%2fApplication%2fApplicationList>
American University School of Communication Office of Graduate Admissions McKinley Building 4400 Massachusetts Ave, NW Washington, DC 20016-8044 202-885-2040 | gradcomm at american.edu. If you are having technical issues, please visit the AU help desk for assistance.
american.elluciancrmrecruit.com

Patricia Aufderheide, University Professor, School of Communication
(she/her/hers)
PhD Program Director
Founder, Center for Media & Social Impact
American University
4400 Massachusetts Av., NW
American University, Washington, DC 20016-8017
McKinley Hall 323
@paufder @cmsimpact
cmsimpact.org<http://cmsimpact.org>
paufder at american.edu<mailto:paufder at american.edu>
202-885-2069 office
240-643-4805 mobile

Reclaiming Fair Use--t<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/022637419X?pf_rd_p=d1f45e03-8b73-4c9a-9beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=9A4S3CXHCD8R7GBY3C8P>he second edition is out, with new stories, quizzes and entirely new chapters on the surprising success of fair use in enabling creativity!