[Air-L] [External] Re: Buying tweets ?

Stuart Shulman stuart.shulman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 06:39:07 PDT 2020

There is some scholarship on the various options which have continued to
evolve over time with respect to Twitter.
https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/3/864

I agree that there is usually sufficient free, real time data to gather
from Twitter to reach saturation on most real time current research
questions.

My personal experience with the cost and regulation of historical Twitter
access for academia is a cautionary tale. Most of what academics want to
study, and often the way they do it, violates the clear language of the
Twitter Terms of Service and also the increasingly widespread right to be
forgotten. If you are storing spreadsheets of Twitter data that includes
over time more and more material from deleted accounts or deleted Tweets,
this is problematic from a legal perspective and raises ethical review
questions that should not be glossed over in any wikileaks fashion by
journal editors or university ethics officers.

~Stu

Dr. Stu ShulmanU.S. Soccer Federation C-Licensed Coach
Valeo FC & Capacidad <http://capacidadprograms.org/?page_id=13> Volunteer Coach
*Is your player ready to give back to the game?
*Contact Coach Stu about winter & spring 2020 volunteer efforts.

[image: Capacidad] <http://capacidadprograms.org/?page_id=13>