[Air-L] Ideas, texts and data for course on "Critical social media studies and methods"

Jakob Linaa jakoblinaa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 07:44:08 PDT 2021

Dear all

I am to teach a new course in the fall with theoretical perspectives
(I am pretty strong on that) combined with methodological approaches.

The idea is a part one on critical algorithm studies (quite
theoretical) and a part two where we discuss various kinds of social
media data and methods for data retrieval and analysis. My ideas so
far include network analysis, content analysis, media-go-along and
hopefully some machine learning as well. I also want to focus on data
retrieval, data cleaning and data formats. I have thought of including
crash courses in R and Tableau.

As I have taught no methods courses for a couple of years I am eager
to learn what perspectives others include and not at least where to
get data examples in a time with API closure. Pls hit me with your
examples, ideas, syllabi etc. On the list, mail, private message,
whatever ... Thanks

All the best

Jakob
Jakob Linaa Jensen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Critical Social Media Studies
Department of Media and Journalism
School of Communication and Culture
Aarhus University, Denmark
Phone: +45 20 86 77 77
Mail: mailto:linaa at cc.au.dk
Website: www.linaa.net
Twitter: @jakoblinaa

Recent book: The Medieval Internet. Power, Politics and Participation
in the Digital Age. Emerald Publishing, 2020.
https://books.emeraldinsight.com/page/detail/The-Medieval-Internet/?k=9781839094132