[Air-L] [EXTERNAL] the NFT bandwagon

Matthew Moore Matthew.Moore at uts.edu.au
Fri Dec 24 22:47:44 PST 2021

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your reply. I’m going start by unpacking one of the terms that you use repeatedly - “Web 3”.

I am old enough to remember the first “Web 3.0” - which was associated with TBL’s notion of the semantic web. I always found TBL’s continued disappointment with his own offspring mildly amusing (and a little tragic). The web has actually become more semantic - largely not thru the proposed RDF standards but thru private knowledge graphs, public open linked data, APIs, and microservices. This has led to some weird outcomes - like the massively profitable Facebook trying to offload its fact-checking responsibilities to the not-for-profit, commons-based Wikipedia.

There is a rhetorical power to associating yourself with the original Web - a classic underdog story. An ignored and misunderstood technology goes on to take over the world. And aligning yourself as a repetition of that narrative pretty much neutralizes all criticism of you. You will prevail, just as pets.co-, er, Google prevailed. But as Marx noted, history repeats first as tragedy then as farce.

So the claims of the CryptoBros should be treated with some scepticism. Most of the crypto experiments will be failures. And despite billions of dollars of investment, nothing of actual long-term utility seems to have come out of that milieu - yet. With all that money and brainpower, it would be surprising if something useful did not emerge (DAOs, distributed ledgers, smart contracts). But so far, Bitcoin remains a speculation engine, not an actual usable currency: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2302383-hundreds-of-salvadorans-claim-money-is-vanishing-from-bitcoin-accounts/

As for the comment about “interesting” - well, a technology only becomes interesting when it comes boring. The iPhone made issues of mobile computing power, GPS, UX, and app development boring (i.e. technically stable) and in doing so unleashed a wave of interesting mobile innovation. Right now, crypto is the wrong kind of interesting.

N.B. I am not accusing you of being a CryptoBro - your positions seem a lot more nuanced than that. But I am challenging the CryptoNarrative of Web3.

Regards,

Matt