[Air-L] [CFP CHI ‘21 Workshop] Designing Technological Systems with The Algorithmic Imaginations of Those Who Labor

Elizabeth Anne Watkins writetowatkins at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 08:22:16 PST 2021

Dear Air-L community,

We are seeking participants for our upcoming May 9 CHI '21 workshop, “This
Seems to Work”: Designing Technological Systems with The Algorithmic
Imaginations of Those Who Labor.

*Note that CHI is taking place virtually and no travel is required*.

This workshop invites conversation around any professionals who interact
with opaque technological systems, and we welcome papers which elevate how
the CHI community talks about low-power workers managed by or engaging with
algorithmic/digital platforms, with the goal of centering workers and their
agency. We invite position papers, from a range of disciplines, which
discuss:

- Imaginations of what technology design would look like if it leveraged
workers understandings of algorithmic underpinnings;

- New ways of framing interactions between on-the-ground algorithmically
mediated workers and technological systems;

- Innovative methodological breakthroughs which can provide insight into
the ‘people’s research’ workers undertake, i.e. cognitive labor,
sensemaking, or algorithmic imaginaries, and/or their influence on platform
functions.

ORGANIZERS

LINDSEY CAMERON

Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania

ANGÈLE CHRISTIN

Department of Communication, Stanford University

MICHAEL ANN DEVITO

School of Communication, Northwestern University

TAWANNA DILLAHUNT

School of Information, University of Michigan

MADELEINE C. ELISH

Google Research

MARY L. GRAY

Microsoft Research

RIDA QADRI

Urban Information Systems, MIT

NOOPUR RAVAL

AI Now Institute, New York University

MELISSA VALENTINE

Center for Work, Technology, and Organization, Stanford University

ELIZABETH ANNE WATKINS

Center for Information Technology Policy, Princeton University

TO PARTICIPATE

Send a 300 word abstract with a short bio thosewholabor at gmail.com no later
than February 19, 2021 AOE.

More info about submission and the workshop at:
https://sites.google.com/view/this-seems-to-work-chi-2021/