[Air-L] New Op-Ed in Wired on Misleading Research on Disinformation

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:55:04 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,
I am just sharing an article I published today in Wired. After many
headlines on the scale of 'disinfo for sale' University of Oxford recent
study offering useful insight for policymakers into its growth? I say no. A
high profile study into disinformation by influential Oxford Internet
Institute scholars which has been in the headlines worldwide in the last
month is misleading, poorly researched and misreported: 'The Grim
Consequences of a Misleading Study on Disinformation
<https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-the-grim-consequences-of-a-misleading-study-on-disinformation/>
.'
I hope you will find it illuminating and helpful for students too who are
trying to understand this phenomenon.
Best wishes,
Emma

--
Dr Emma L Briant
Independent Researcher/Author/Analyst

Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk
Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant