[Air-L] Join us online for the upcoming Oxford Global Media Policy Seminar Series!

Kira Allmann kcallmann at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 00:34:41 PST 2021

Hi all,

Just letting you know about the fantastic lineup of speakers we have this
term for the Programme in Comparative Media Law and Policy's (PCMLP) Global
Media Policy Seminar Series! Jointly hosted by the University of Oxford and
the University of Johannesburg.

Please register using the links below:

*Dr Elinor Carmi (University of Liverpool)*Date: Tuesday, Feb 23rd, 16:00
UTC
Title: "From the back end to the front end: Producing the surveillance
adtech ecosystem"
Register:
 https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/oxford-uj-global-media-policy-seminar-series-elinor-carmi-tickets-138607475691
<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/oxford-uj-global-media-policy-seminar-series-elinor-carmi-tickets-138607475691>
Abstract: In this presentation I'll talk about my new book - Media
Distortions (open access). The book examines the power behind producing
deviant media categories. It shows the politics behind categories we take
for  granted such as spam and noise, and what it means to our broader
understanding of, and engagement with media. Drawing  on repositories of
legal, technical and archival sources, the book amplifies three stories
about the construction and negotiation of the  ‘deviant’ in media. In this
talk I'll focus on the second story: the early 2000s, specifically the web
metric standardization in the European Union showing how the digital
advertising industry constructed what is legitimate communication, while
making spam illegal. By lobbying EU legislators and the Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF), the digital advertising industry and tech
companies standardized the category of spam around any ‘problematic’
behaviour threatening their business. This required configuring spaces and
people on the web, establishing the foundations for the surveillance adtech
ecosystem we experience today.

*Dr Fiona Shen-Bayh (The College of William and Mary)*