[Air-L] protecting the researchers?

Charles M. Ess charles.ess at media.uio.no
Wed Jan 20 06:00:06 PST 2021

Dear AoIRists,

as many of you know, one of the central additions to the AoIR Internet
Research Ethics 3.0 was a focus on protecting the researchers, as
catalyzed by phenomena such as #Gamergate as well as increasing research
on violent extremists, etc.

Thanks to the help of several colleagues - Leonie Tanczer, Lindsay
Blackwell, Katherine Lo, Alice Marwick, and Fiona Martin, among others -
we were able to gather some helpful resources in the document as well as
offer Keith Douglas' very helpful list of suggestions and discussion on
"Operational Security: Central Considerations" (7.1, pp. 78ff.)

So far as I can gather, threats to researcher safety have only abounded
since; at the same time, I've been asked to offer a small workshop
(remotely) on Researcher Safety at Umeå University in February: so ...

1) are there any additional resources people would recommend, especially
to early career stage researchers, useful / helpful / inspiring in
helping take whatever steps we can to protect ourselves?

2) are there additional examples that might be useful to refer to as
highlighting / foregrounding the possible risks and / or ways to counter
them?

Will happily and gratefully acknowledge any help and suggestions you may
offer - and will try to collect and summarize them for the list.

Many thanks in advance,
- charles
--
Professor Emeritus
University of Oslo

Secretary, IFIP Working Group 9.8, Gender, Diversity, and ICT
<http://ifiptc9.org/9-8/>

Fellow, Siebold-Collegiums Institute for Advanced Studies,
Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Germany

3rd edition of Digital Media Ethics now out:
<http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9781509533428>