[Air-L] New campaign targeting security researchers

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jan 25 20:25:09 PST 2021

FYI.   --rick
---
Dr. Richard Forno
Senior Lecturer, CSEE
Director, Graduate Cybersecurity Program
Assistant Director, UMBC Center for Cybersecurity

New campaign targeting security researchers

Over the past several months, the Threat Analysis Group has identified an ongoing campaign targeting security researchers working on vulnerability research and development at different companies and organizations. The actors behind this campaign, which we attribute to a government-backed entity based in North Korea, have employed a number of means to target researchers which we will outline below. We hope this post will remind those in the security research community that they are targets to government-backed attackers and should remain vigilant when engaging with individuals they have not previously interacted with.

In order to build credibility and connect with security researchers, the actors established a research blog and multiple Twitter profiles to interact with potential targets. They've used these Twitter profiles for posting links to their blog, posting videos of their claimed exploits and for amplifying and retweeting posts from other accounts that they control.

< - >

https://blog.google/threat-analysis-group/new-campaign-targeting-security-researchers/