[Air-L] Article about Covid-19 early warnings on Twitter

Monica Marra monica.marra at inaf.it
Tue Jan 26 02:39:17 PST 2021

For those interested in the relationship between the Covid-19 pandemic
and social networks, may I point out this new paper based upon Twitter
and published on "Scientific Reports" yesterday:

Early warnings of COVID-19 outbreaks across Europe from social media,

Abstract: "We analyze data from Twitter to uncover early-warning signals
of COVID-19 outbreaks in Europe in the winter season 2019–2020, before
the first public announcements of local sources of infection were made.
We show evidence that unexpected levels of concerns about cases of
pneumonia were raised across a number of European countries.
Whistleblowing came primarily from the geographical regions that
eventually turned out to be the key breeding grounds for infections.
These findings point to the urgency of setting up an integrated digital
surveillance system in which social media can help geo-localize chains
of contagion that would otherwise proliferate almost completely undetected."

Regards,

MM

--
Monica Marra
INAF - Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica

Scopus author ID: 7102382905
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Monica_Marra