[Air-L] Privacy online: chilling effects and subjective experiences

Aram Sinnreich aram at american.edu
Tue Jan 19 06:33:00 PST 2021

Hi Jill,

Here are three pieces I've coauthored that specifically address the
cultural/subjective dimensions of surveillance:

Sinnreich, A. & Gilbert, J. (2019). The carrier wave principle.
International Journal of Communication, 13, 5816–5840.
https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/11946

Lingel, J. & Sinnreich, A. (2016). Incoded counter-conduct: What the
incarcerated can teach us about resisting mass surveillance. First
Monday, 21(5).
https://firstmonday.org/article/view/6172/5470

Bossewitch, J. & Sinnreich, A. (2013). The end of forgetting: Strategic
agency beyond the Panopticon. New Media & Society, 15(2); 224–242.
https://alchemicalmusings.org/files/essays/End_of_Forgetting_NMS_proof.pdf

Enjoy!

Aram

--