[Air-L] PrObs Private Ordering Perspectives Series at HBI (June, July, September)

David Morar davidcristianmorar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 13:05:39 PDT 2021

Hello all,

Apologies for crossposting.

This week marks the first of a summer-long series of webinars hosted by the
Private Ordering Observatory (PrObs <http://probs.org/>) at the Leibniz
Institute for Media Research │ Hans-Bredow-Institut (HBI) entitled *Private
Ordering Perspectives: Who Gets to Say Who Gets to Speak
<https://www.hans-bredow-institut.de/en/projects/private-ordering-observatory>*.
Click here <http://bit.ly/HBI-POP> to register. Further information below.

Private Ordering Perspectives is a series of online talks spread out across
the months of June, July and September 2021, each month with its own
perspective. The three questions that the series is built on each tackle a
general framework of private ordering, while simultaneously highlighting a
particular case.

*Query I*: Who gets to speak? What deplatforming can teach us - *June*
*Query II*: What can we speak? The dealing with disinformation tells us -
*July*
*Query III*: Who makes the rules? Designing for better speech governance -
* September*

The first question in June is a fundamental one, “Who gets to speak?”

*On June 10th, 1–2 CEST, Prof. Maura Conway
<https://www.dcu.ie/lawandgovernment/people/maura-conway> of Dublin City
University will talk to us about deplatforming and why one size does not
fit all.Paper: Maura Conway (2020) Routing the Extreme Right
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03071847.2020.1727157>, The
RUSI Journal, 165:1, 108-113On June 17th, 12–1 CEST, Prof. Richard Rogers
<https://www.uva.nl/en/profile/r/o/r.a.rogers/r.a.rogers.html> of the
University of Amsterdam will talk to us about what happens after
deplatforming.Paper: Richard Rogers (2020) Deplatforming: Following extreme
Internet celebrities to Telegram and alternative social media
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0267323120922066>, European
Journal of Communication, 35:3, 213–229.On June 24th, 1–2
CEST, Prof. Elizabeth Pearson
<https://pure.royalholloway.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/elizabeth-pearson(dd2e7370-fd3a-4306-8085-dd5746f4b101).html>
of
Royal Holloway University will talk about how deplatforming can be seen as
a positive by those deplatformed.Paper: Elizabeth Pearson (2018) Online as
the New Frontline: Affect, Gender, and ISIS-Take-Down on Social Media
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1057610X.2017.1352280>,
Studies in Conflict & Terrorism, 41:11, 850-874*

In July, the Private Ordering Perspectives series will feature the second
fundamental question, “What can we speak?” and will focus primarily on the
case of disinformation with three experts providing thought-provoking
lectures on specific actions, interventions and regulatory responses
surrounding misinformation online. The calendar for the July series will be
released shortly, but we are able to confirm that Stephan Lewandowsky
(University of Bristol), Farnaz Jahanbakhsh (MIT) and Owen Bennet (Mozilla)
will be our speakers, discussing their recent works.

In September, the Private Ordering Perspectives series will tackle the
final of three questions, “Who makes the rules?”. More specifically, the
final of the three parts of the series will look at who, how and why
designs rules related to online speech.
Registration for the series is here <http://bit.ly/HBI-POP>. Webinar
information will be sent shortly before the events.

Questions about the event? Please contact the organizers, Matthias C.
Kettemann <m.kettemann at leibniz-hbi.de> or David Morar <morar at nyu.edu>.

David Morar, PhD
Postdoctoral Data Policy Fellow
NYU Steinhardt
~
Visiting Researcher
Leibniz Institute for Media Research | Hans-Bredow-Institut
~
@morar <https://twitter.com/morar>
davidmorar.com