[Air-L] Digital Superheroes Call for Papers

Jill Walker Rettberg Jill.Walker.Rettberg at uib.no
Fri Sep 24 00:24:10 PDT 2021

What an intriguing topic for a special issue! In our almost-completed database of machine vision in art, games and narratives<https://machine-vision.no>, we have lots of superheros - superheros are really into using image recognition, facial recognition, holograms and so on. The works aren’t tagged by “superhero” but you could search for superhero or Marvel or browse titles to find them. We’ve only looked at visual data - machine vision - so miss out on a lot of ways superheros use data in general. I was also thinking of how Nnedi Okorafor’s “Lagoon” arguably has superheros (the alien-enhanced people) as does her “The Book of Phoenix”, but there’s a lot less data and digitality in those africanfuturist enhanced humans than in Marvel. (We only found one instance of ma

Anyway, if anyone is interested in using data from our machine vision database to explore superheros and machine vision data (or to use the data in any other way) please get in touch as we would love collaborators and have more data than we can use, and some resources to support such collaborations as well.

And good luck, Sarah and Freyja, with what looks like a fascinating special issue!

Jill