[Air-L] CfP – EMNLP Workshop NLP for Positive Impact

Lu Xiao luxiaoist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 14:43:32 PDT 2022

Call for Submissions – EMNLP Workshop NLP for Positive Impact

Submission website: https://softconf.com/emnlp2022/NLPforPositiveImpact2022/

Workshop website:  https://sites.google.com/view/nlp4positiveimpact

Important Dates

   -

   (Submission channel 1) Latest submission deadline to Softconf: Aug 15,
   2022
   -

   (Submission channel 2; alternative) Latest ARR commitment deadline: Oct
   2, 2022 (As the ARR site explains, authors can commit to venues when they
   have their reviews and meta-reviews. By Oct 2, you need to "commit" your
   ARR paper through Softconf, as in EMNLP 2022).
   -

   Notification of Acceptance: Oct 9, 2022
   -

   Camera-Ready Papers Due: Oct 16, 2022
   -

   Workshop Date: Dec 7, 2022

   All deadlines are 11:59PM (Anywhere on Earth
   <https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/aoe>)

Summary

The widespread and indispensable use of language-oriented AI systems
presents new opportunities to have a positive social impact. NLP
technologies are starting to mature to the point where they could have an
even broader impact, supporting the UN sustainability goals
<https://sdgs.un.org/goals> by helping to address big problems such as
poverty, hunger, healthcare, education, inequality, COVID-19 and climate
change.

Our workshop aims to promote innovative NLP research that will positively
impact society, focusing on responsible methods and new applications. We
will encourage submissions from areas including (but not limited to):

   -

   Work that grounds the impact of NLP: Beyond developing a
   better-performing NLP model, can we make a step further to connect the
   model to actual social impact? Example directions include: case studies
   of real-world deployments; or improving the deployment and maintenance of
   NLP models in practice.

   In addition to commonly recognized NLP for social good areas such as NLP
   for healthcare, mental well-being, and many others, we also call for work
   on neglected areas such as NLP for poverty, hunger, energy, climate change,
   among others.

   We also highly value work that builds on interdisciplinary expertise,
   and encourage submissions of case studies or worked examples that seek to
   expand the social impact of NLP through collaboration with other fields
   (e.g., philanthropy, social science, political science, economics, HCI).

   -

   Work that guides researchers in NLP for Social Good: Can we provide
   insights and guidance to the field? Example directions include: measures
   of social impact; automatic identification of various social needs, their
   corresponding sizes and demographics of people affected; position papers to
   propose promising new tasks or directions that the field should pursue;
   literature review of a subfield; philosophical discussions of what social
   good is; approaches to interdisciplinary collaboration; user study designs,
   user surveys; ethical considerations, and other related topics.

Note that we want submissions to our workshop to have some distinctive
features of social good implications, beyond a general paper on NLP. We
will require each submission to discuss the ethical and societal
implications of their work, and encourage a discussion of what "positive
impact" means in the work.

Organizers

   -

   Zhijing Jin (Max Planck Institute & ETH Zurich) [lead organizer]
   -

   Laura Biester (University of Michigan)
   -

   Dora Demszky (Stanford University)
   -

   Mrinmaya Sachan (ETH Zurich)
   -

   Joel Tetreault (Dataminr, Inc.)
   -

   Steven Wilson (Oakland University)
   -

   Lu Xiao (Syracuse University)
   -

   Jieyu Zhao (University of Maryland, College Park)

Contact Email

   -

   nlp4pi.workshop at gmail.com

Lu Xiao