[Air-L] Qualtrics Survey Question

Simon Joyce simonjoyce at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 23:16:48 PDT 2022

Hi Samantha,

In my experience Qualitrics itself is totally reliable but I do know problems can arise if arrangements for payment don't meet participant expectations.

Another department in my university had to abandon a survey they launched on Amazon Mechanical Turk after there was a 24 hour delay in payments going out due to an admin error. Non-payment is a major problem on these sites so workers use online forums to warn each other about non-paying clients. The survey from my colleagues got put on one of these lists inside a day and was then essentially boycotted by other workers. They never made the sample size.

Obviously, I don't know the full details of where and how you launched your survey but it’s possible that something like this might have happened if, as you say, payments were not automatic but participants had expectations that they might be – or, at least, that they might be quicker than you had planned.

So, my guess would be it’s not a matter of extra security measures – it’s a more matter of participant expectations and how you handle them.

Apologies in advance if I’ve misunderstood the details of your experience. Anyway, it could make an interesting section for your methodology chapter!

All best,
Simon.

Dr Simon Joyce
Research Fellow
Digital Futures at Work (Digit) Research Centre
Leeds University Business School
Leeds LS2 9JT
Email: s.joyce1 at leeds.ac.uk