[Air-L] Job - Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream- CLTA - Media Studies, Race, and Social Justice - University of Toronto

Rafael Grohmann rafael-ng at uol.com.br
Sat Dec 17 12:12:28 PST 2022

   The Department of Arts, Culture and Media at the University of Toronto
   Scarborough (UTSC) invites applications for a two-year Contractually
   Limited Term Appointment (CLTA) in the area of Media Studies with a
   focus on Race and Social Justice. The appointment will be at the rank
   of Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream and is expected to begin on
   July 1, 2023 and end on June 30, 2025. An additional one-year renewal
   may be possible.

   Applicants must have earned a PhD degree in Media Studies,
   Communication, Science and Technology Studies, Journalism, or a related
   discipline by the time of appointment or shortly thereafter, with a
   demonstrated record of excellence in teaching. The successful candidate
   will be expected to teach in the Media Studies, Journalism and Digital
   Cultures program, with the opportunity to collaborate in curricular
   development and implementation across the Department’s eight programs
   ([1]https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/acm/content/welcome). Applicants must
   have a breadth of experience teaching in one or more of the following
   areas: intersectional approaches to Black digital media; decolonizing
   digital methods and practice s; data and spectrum sovereignties;
   algorithmic bias and algorithmic fairness; feminist media studies;
   media activism; media studies in the Global South; critical race
   theory; and equity, diversity and inclusion in arts, culture, and
   media. We especially welcome scholars whose areas of expertise may
   include: Black Studies, Indigenous studies, transfeminist studies,
   digital capitalism, critical disability studies, and critical data
   studies.

   Candidates must have teaching experience in a degree-g ranting program,
   including lecture preparation and delivery, curriculum development, and
   development of online material/lectures. Additionally, candidates must
   possess a demonstrated commitment to excellent pedagogical inquiry and
   a demonstrated interest in teaching-related scholarly activities. The
   successful candidate will be responsible for teaching and supervising
   students in the undergraduate degree program, fulfilling other
   professional and administrative activities related to teaching, and
   participating in curriculum development and departmental and university
   committee work in order to contribute to program and departmental
   initiatives, especially in advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion
   in teaching and learning.

   Evidence of excellence in teaching and a commitment to excellent
   pedagogical inquiry can be demonstrated through teaching
   accomplishments, awards and accolades, presentations at significant
   conferences, the teaching dossier submitted as part of the application
   (with required materials outlined below) as well as strong letters of
   reference from referees of high standing. Candidates must also
   demonstrate skill in both their teaching abilities and in their
   capacity to instruct a wide range of courses in media studies, race,
   and social justice.

   Candidates must show evidence of a commitment to equit y, diversity,
   inclusion, and the promotion of a respectful and collegial learning and
   working environment, as demonstrated through the application materials.

   For more context about the University of Toronto’ ;s commitment to
   diversity,
   see [2]https://people.utoronto.ca/news/2015-presidents-statement-divers
   ity-inclusion/. Note as well the Department of Arts, Culture & Media’s
   own Equity and Diversity in the Arts
   Initiative: [3]https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/acm/equity-and-diversity-ar
   ts.

   Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.

   The University of Toronto offers the opportunity to co nduct research
   and creative practice, teach, and live in one of the most diverse
   cities of the world. The appointment is at the University of Toronto
   Scarborough, which is a research-intensive campus with an
   interdisciplinary commitment, a multicultural student body, and a
   modern campus. The Department of Arts, Culture and Media at UTSC is a
   unique multi-disciplinary research and teaching environment, with
   programs in Art History and Visual Culture, Arts Management, Curatorial
   Studies, Journalism (Joint Program), Media, Journalism and Digital
   Cultures, New Media Studies (Joint Program), Music and Culture, Studio
   Art, and Theatre and Performance. Please refer to our program website
   for more information: [4]https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/acm/.

   All qualified candidates are invited to apply online b y clicking on
   the link below. Applicants must submit: 1) a cover letter; 2) a
   complete and current curriculum vitae; 3) a complete teaching portfolio
   that includes a strong statement of teaching philosophy, sample
   syllabi, course materials, teaching evaluations, and/or descriptions of
   teaching strategies.

   Applicants must provide the names and contact informat ion of three
   references. The University of Toronto's recruiting tool will
   automatically solicit and collect letters of reference from each once
   an application is submitted (this happens overnight). Applicants remain
   responsible for ensuring that references submit letters (on letterhead,
   dated and signed) by the closing date. At least one reference must be
   able to primarily address the candidate's teaching.

   Submission guidelines can be found at [5]http://uoft.me/how-to-apply.
   Your CV and cover letter should be uploaded into the dedicated fields.
   Please combine additional application materials into one or two files
   in PDF/MS Word format.  If you have any questions about this position,
   please contact [6]acm-ca at utsc.utoronto.ca.

   All application materials, including reference letters, must be
   received by February 3, 2023.
   All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians
   and permanent residents will be given priority.

   Diversity Statement
   The University of Toronto embraces Diversity and is building a culture
   of belonging that increases our capacity to effectively address and
   serve the interests of our global community. We strongly encourage
   applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black and racialized persons,
   women, persons with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual and
   gender identities. We value applicants who have demonstrated a
   commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that
   diverse perspectives, experiences, and expertise are essential
   to strengthening our academic mission.

   As part of your application, you will be asked to complete a brief
   Diversity Survey. This survey is voluntary. Any information directly
   related to you is confidential and cannot be accessed by search
   committees or human resources staff. Results will be aggregated for
   institutional planning purposes. For more information, p lease
   see [7]http://uoft.me/UP.

   Accessibility Statement
   The University strives to be an equitable and inclusive community, and
   proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members.
   Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our
   unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our academic
   mission.

   The University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for
   Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our
   recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as
   possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with
   disabilities.< /span>
   If you require any accommodations at any point during the application
   and hiring process, please contact [8]uoft.careers at utoronto.ca.
   [9]https://jobs.utoronto.ca/job/Toronto-Assistant-Professor%2C-Teaching
   -Stream-CLTA-Media-Studies%2C-Race%2C-and-Social-Justice-ON/566092517/