[Air-L] Elon Musk & free speech

Paul Levinson levinson.paul at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:10:51 PST 2022

Thanks for the comments, Petter.  Some brief responses:

You say: 1) Not all of us are in the US, and the US constitution is of
limited
interest and applicability to a lot of us, apart from being a major
influence on the big tech companies we are forced to interact with.
Moreover, big tech companies need to also take the laws in other countries
into account if they wish to officially operate and generate ad revenue
there.

The US & the US Constitution was indeed my focus, because Twitter, Musk,
and I are all headquartered in the US.  But the First Amendment has roots
that go back much further and wider than the US.  I specifically mention
John Milton in the op-ed, and this thinking draws on Pericles, Socrates,
etc.

2) Criminality includes, in far too many jurisdictions, things like
"homosexual propaganda". Should that be suppressed? Why, or why not? To me
referring exclusively to 'legality' (in a specific jurisdiction, no less)
tells me basically nothing about what you actually believe should be
suppressed or not, and by whom.

Criminality indeed has all sorts of outrageous racist, discriminatory
applications around the world, including in the U.S.  What I was getting at
was free speech protections should not extend to bona-fide criminal
activities, like, for example, conspiracy to murder.  And as for the
designation of "criminal" to suppress what consenting adults may want to
do, those labels should be denounced and removed.

3) A systems purpose is what it does. The 'marketplace' is not only not
equal from the start, but also reproduces and increases inequality and
power imbalances.

Yes, and I support progressive actions to reduce those inequalities,
including anti-monopoly laws, equitable taxation (so the very rich pay
their fair share), etc.

-- PL

It's Real Life <https://vocal.media/fiction/it-s-real-life> -- free, new
alternate history short story about The Beatles & WFUV, now being made into
a radio play