[Air-L] 3 x zoom talks on queer and gender perspectives on AI & algorithms

Evelina Liliequist evelina.liliequist at umu.se
Tue Feb 22 00:35:40 PST 2022

Humlab Talk
Queer in AI: Making AI Queer-Inclusive and Prioritizing Grassroots D&I Activism
30 mars, 8.30-9.45 (CET), ZOOM (pre-sign up required)

Trustworthy artificial intelligence (AI) has become an important topic because trust in AI systems and their creators has been lost. Researchers, corporations, and governments have long and painful histories of excluding marginalized groups from technology development, deployment, and oversight. As a result, these technologies are less useful and even harmful to minoritized communities. We argue that any AI development, deployment, and monitoring framework that aspires to trust must incorporate both feminist, non-exploitative participatory design principles and strong, outside, and continual monitoring and testing. We additionally explain the importance of considering aspects of trustworthiness beyond just transparency, fairness, and accountability, specifically, to consider justice and shifting power to the disempowered as core values to any trustworthy AI system. Creating trustworthy AI starts by funding, supporting, and empowering grassroots organizations like Queer in AI so the field of AI has the diversity and inclusion to credibly and effectively develop trustworthy AI. We explain what Queer in AI is, the mission of the organization, and the initiatives that Queer in AI runs (from community education and empowerment to policymaking and advocacy). We then leverage the expert knowledge Queer in AI has developed through its years of work and advocacy to discuss if and how gender, sexuality, and other aspects of queer identity should be used in datasets and AI systems and how harms along these lines should be mitigated. Based on this, we share a gendered approach to AI and further propose a queer epistemology and analyze the benefits it can bring to AI. We additionally discuss how to regulate AI with this queer epistemology in vision, proposing frameworks for making policies related to AI & gender diversity and privacy & queer data protection.

More info and sign up:
https://www.umu.se/en/events/humlab-talk-queer-in-ai_11398958/

Don’t miss: The Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender: Algorithmic Exclusion In Body Composition Analysis And Beyond<https://www.umu.se/en/events/humlab-talk-the-whole-thing-smacks-of-gender_11286200/> w/Maggie Delano & Kendra Albert, 9 March 15:30 - 16:45 (CET)
A recording of a previous talk in our serie on queer and gender perspectives on AI and algorithms w/Morgan Klaus Scheuerman is now available here: https://play.umu.se/playlist/dedicated/105250/0_qwbiscsy/0_gxui44gc

--
Dr. Evelina Liliequist
Senior Research Assistant, Humlab

När du skickar e-post till Umeå universitet innebär det att universitetet behandlar dina personuppgifter.
Läs mer här: umu.se/gdpr

By sending an email to Umeå University, the University will need to process your personal data.
For more information, please read: umu.se/en/gdpr