[Air-L] Seeking documentation on prevalence of employee surveillance technologies

Luc Cousineau luc.cousineau at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 24 11:33:17 PST 2022

Hello AoIR community,

My colleagues from the International Network on Technology, Work, and Family (Ariane Ollier-Malaterre, Xavier Parent-Rocheleau) and I are currently working on a project examining the prevalence of employee surveillance technologies (i.e., "Bossware" like keylogging, random screenshots, webcam monitoring, etc.), and developing a typology of these technologies.

While there is some information available from the industry and grey literatures, we are in search of data about the actual use of specific types of employee surveillance technologies. Works like Charbonneau and Doberstein (2020), Mateescu and Nguyen (2019) and Ravid et al. (2020) provide good overviews, but lack specific usage numbers. We are seeking material (published and unpublished) that we can use to assess the prevalence of different types of bossware in different parts of the world and are hoping that this community can point to sources we have not yet identified.

The help of this active and positive community is much appreciated. Please reach out with any questions.

Luc Cousineau

Luc S. Cousineau, Ph.D.
(he/him | they/them)
Postdoctoral Fellow in the Université du Québec à Montréal's International Network on Technology, Work and Family (INTWAF)<https://intwaf.esg.uqam.ca/>
Instructor, University of Waterloo
Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/LucCousineau> | Website<https://luccousineauphd.ca/>
Newest Publications:
'A Positive Identity for Men'?: Pathways to far-right participation through Reddit's /r/MensRights and /r/TheRedPill in Rise of the Far Right: Technologies of Recruitment and Mobilization<https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781786614926/Rise-of-the-Far-Right-Technologies-of-Recruitment-and-Mobilization>
"Entitled to everything, responsible for nothing:" Gendered Discourses of Antifeminism, Biological Determinism, and Violence in Two Communities of Reddit's Manosphere<https://riviste.unige.it/index.php/aboutgender/article/view/1274>. In AG About Gender: International Journal of Gender Studies<https://riviste.unige.it/index.php/aboutgender/issue/view/44>
The University of Waterloo is on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishnaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. It is situated on the Haldimand Tract, land promised in treaty to Six Nations, which includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.
We include this statement in our email signatures, but it is clear that the University itself, nor any level of government in Canada, is committed to actually doing anything about this issue. The very smart Dr. Dan Henhawk<http://umanitoba.ca/kinesiology-recreation-management/faculty-staff/dan-henhawk-phd> gave a talk once that made me wonder - What value does this statement have?