[Air-L] New paper on Mastodon and platform governance

Robert W Gehl lists at robertwgehl.org
Tue Nov 8 10:56:56 PST 2022

Hello, all --

I normally don't promote pre-print papers, but fellow AOIR member Diana
Zulli and I just learned that Information, Communication and Society is
publishing our paper on Mastodon. It's pretty good timing, I think!

The paper is titled "The Digital Covenant: Non-Centralized Platform
Governance on the Mastodon Social Network." It's available as a
pre-print in H-Commons: https://hcommons.org/deposits/item/hc:49433/

I'm hoping it helps the AOIR community better understand Mastodon (and
the fediverse, more broadly) as members consider switching to that platform.

I also hope that, if the fediverse turns out to be a viable area of
research for AOIR, this paper can help spark more research into the
particular ways in which these non-centralized systems engage in
platform governance beyond the corporate social media model.

Regards,

Rob

--
Robert W. Gehl (he/him/his)
Ontario Research Chair of Digital Governance for Social Justice, York University

Sent from our OS on our Internet