[Air-L] JOB: Asst. Prof of Rhetoric and New Media (TT) at UNC-CH

Alice E. Marwick amarwick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 08:56:31 PST 2022

Hi all,

I just found out yesterday that none of my messages to the AOIR list were
going through (some internet researcher I am, huh?). The deadline for this
job unfortunately is next week but I wanted to repost it here anyway.

My department at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has a
tenure-track Assistant Professor of Rhetoric job open this semester,
specifically rhetoric of New Media.

https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/242107

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill invites applications for a
tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor specializing in
Rhetoric to begin July 1, 2023. The Department of Communication is seeking
to hire an Assistant Professor of Rhetoric whose research and teaching
focus on rhetoric of new media (video games and gaming, AI, digital art,
AR/VR, digital and interactive storytelling, etc.). As a tenure track
faculty member, duties will include research, teaching undergraduate and
graduate classes on rhetoric, new media technologies, and in their areas of
specialization, graduate advising, and departmental service.

Preference will be given to scholars whose work addresses how rhetoric of
new media intersects with scholarship engaging marginalized publics.
Marginalized publics include groups who experience marginalization based on
race, gender, sex and gender identification, sexual orientation,
ability/disability, citizenship status, as well as other categories.
Candidates’ research and pedagogy should be informed by critical theory and
antiracist scholarship, which complements our department’s strengths and
continued investment in the roles that communication plays in the fight for
equity and justice. Preference may also be given to candidates with a focus
on the relationship between public advocacy and new media; critical
thinking about digital discourses, cultures, and spaces; and/or
production/maker skills related to new media such as game design,
programming, motion graphics or animation.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Warmly
Alice
Alice E. Marwick, PhD (she/her)
Associate Professor, Department of Communication
Principal Researcher, Center for Information, Technology and Public Life
(CITAP)
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
amarwick at gmail.com
http://www.tiara.org  <http://www.tiara.org>
http://citap.unc.edu  <http://citap.unc.edu>