[Air-L] Unofficial Risky Research Working Group

Alice E. Marwick amarwick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 08:57:08 PST 2022

Hi all,

At AOIR22, I volunteered to head up an unofficial AOIR effort about
protecting people from risky research - research that puts scholars at risk
from networked harassment, online abuse, reputational damage, and
emotional/mental health impacts. The goal is to create a document somewhat
similar to the AOIR Ethics Guide to help both individuals and institutions
mitigate such risk, with an emphasis on collective rather than
individual solutions.

I am looking for people interested in working on this project in any
capacity - brainstorming, research, writing, resources, etc. My goal is to
draw on the massive expertise of AOIR members, many of whom I know already
work on this or similar efforts.

I have put together a Google Doc summarizing the preliminary vision for
this effort and a Google Form that you can fill out to get involved.

Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15X_RLQMm3Bl0UeIngoVzilkenYMpqsso7WEfwL9vgYA/edit?usp=sharing
Form: https://forms.gle/kUR3Kns8H7wArCYF7

If you have already contacted me about wanting to be involved, thanks!
Please fill out the form anyway because I don't want anyone to fall through
the cracks and this will help me keep all the ideas in one place.

Let me know if there are any questions! Also, can someone repost this to
the ECR/grad Discord?

Thanks!
Alice
Alice E. Marwick, PhD (she/her)
Associate Professor, Department of Communication
Principal Researcher, Center for Information, Technology and Public Life
(CITAP)
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
amarwick at gmail.com
http://www.tiara.org  <http://www.tiara.org>
http://citap.unc.edu  <http://citap.unc.edu>