[Air-L] Help with crowdsourced projects on Creativity and Mobile Gaming

Adriana de Souza e Silva aasilva at ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 21 11:40:17 PST 2022

Colleagues,

I hope you are all doing well! As you start preparing your spring semester classes, I wanted to highlight two crowdsourced projects from the Networked Mobilities Lab (https://nml.chass.ncsu.edu/) for which we are collecting entries:

1. The Mobile Networked Creativity repository: https://mobilenetworkedcreativity.pubpub.org/
People and communities are constantly finding new uses for existing technologies – things the technology’s designers never intended, and possibly never even considered. To better understand this creative process, I’m part of a team of researchers that is collecting examples of how people are using mobile, networked technologies to accomplish unexpected things – from improving local transportation in low-income communities to sharing information about public health.To identify examples of these innovative efforts, we are enlisting the public’s help. We’ve created a website called the Mobile Networked Creativity Repository <https://mobilenetworkedcreativity.pubpub.org/> to crowdsource examples from around the world. The project is featured here: https://news.ncsu.edu/2022/06/creativity-as-survival/

2. The Retro Mobile Gaming Database: http://database.mglab.chass.ncsu.edu/
The Retro Mobile Gaming Database (RMGD) contains a collection of mobile games from 1975 to 2008. This database allows users to search games by multiple search criteria including title, year developed, type of game, and more. This search system will help researchers not only to find games but also to create new correlations among historical types of mobile games. The project is featured here: https://news.ncsu.edu/2021/01/tracing-the-history-of-mobile-games/

Our goal is to increase our collection of examples for both of these projects, so I’d like to ask your help in sharing these with your students and/or creating a class project that could ask students to submit entries as part of an assignment. We have done this before in previous classes and students really enjoyed the research experience. I am happy to offer support for these activities and If you have any questions, please do reach out!

Best,
Adriana

Adriana de Souza e Silva, Ph.D.
University Faculty Scholar | Professor
Dept. of Communication | NC State University
www.souzaesilva.com <http://www.souzaesilva.com/>

The Networked Mobilities Lab https://nml.chass.ncsu.edu <https://nml.chass.ncsu.edu/>