[Air-L] silos

Sam Srauy srauy at oakland.edu
Thu Nov 10 09:07:47 PST 2022

Well, that’s true, Johnathan. But, I think the argument against silos is the homophily problem. In the US, for example, the redlining issue or racial covenants. Redlining extracted wealth from black communities and move them to white suburbs, and racial covenants were defended on the grounds of preserving a community. Now, I get that Mastodon instances are a far cry from redlining or racial covenants. But, if the whole idea behind openness is to allow communities to intersect — if they so choose— then silos (which I don’t think is silly. Words and actions are not grains, but circulate within a network of power/privilege/knowledge) prevents that from ever happening. Plus, as others are pointing out, Mastodon has its own problems with white supremacy which benefited from the network of communities idea to keep their racism alive. Do we risk reifying that ideology? In other words, if we only form communities (on instances or whatever) are we not maintaining that same ideology? Should we not try to disrupt that?

Moreover, there’s a data/bandwidth cost. Academic “Bird site” expats are all over different instances. But, as we interact cross instances, we are doing so no the bandwidth and electricity use of our hosts. How do we commune with each other and ameliorate— to the fullest extent that we can— our downstream footprint? I see the concern about silos as being about that, personally.

____
Sam Srauy, PhD
Associate Professor
Digital Media and Production Coordinator
Oakland University
Department of Communication, Journalism, and Public Relations