[Air-L] Job posting: SMC is seeking a postdoc for 2023

Tarleton L. Gillespie tlg28 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 10 10:41:16 PST 2022

Hello, all!

So excited to share that Microsoft Research New England is looking for a postdoctoral researcher interested in bringing sociotechnical perspectives to analyze critical issues of our time. They will join social scientists using empirical and critical methods to study the social, political, and cultural dynamics that shape technologies and their consequences. Our work draws on and spans several disciplines, including anthropology, communication, gender and sexuality studies, history, information studies, law, media studies, organizational and management sciences, science & technology studies, and sociology.

This is an ideal opportunity for a new Ph.D. to conduct original research that brings empirical and critical perspectives to bear on a variety of complex sociotechnical issues. Postdoctoral researchers are expected to devise their own research agendas. We are especially interested in candidates whose work can speak to one of these themes:

  *   Race, caste, and indigeneity; gender and sexual identities; socioeconomic status and class; and the intersectional dimensions of identity as they are entangled with sociotechnical systems
  *   How institutions, organizations, networks, and infrastructures (across sectors and domains) configure and are configured by sociotechnical systems
  *   Notions of cooperation, mutual aid, and community engagement and their relationships to governance and responsible technologies
  *   Political economies and emerging organizational forms in digital labor, community, government, non-profit, creator economy, and private-sector contexts
  *   The politics and public responsibilities of algorithms, platforms, AI, machine learning, metrics, and other manifestations of computational cultures

To apply for this PhD internship, read more about how to apply here<https://socialmediacollective.org/2022/11/09/smc-postdoc-for-2023/>, and fill out the online application form here<https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/1488454/Post-Doc-Researcher-Socio-Technical-Systems-Microsoft-Research>. Applications are due December 9, 2022. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have specific questions about the position or how to apply.

Our team is comprised of full-time researchers, postdocs, visiting faculty, Ph.D. interns, and research assistants. Postdocs on our team may also have the opportunity to visit and collaborate with researchers in our sister labs in New York City and Montreal.

Postdoctoral researchers are hired for a two-year term appointment following the academic calendar, starting in July 2023. The location is Cambridge MA, and the position can be up to 50% work-from-home. Postdoctoral researchers receive a competitive salary and benefits package, and are eligible for relocation expenses.
Microsoft Research provides a vibrant multidisciplinary research environment, with an open publication policy and close links to top academic institutions around the world. The postdoctoral research positions offer emerging scholars an opportunity to develop their research career and to interact with some of the top minds in the research community.

Tarleton

--

Tarleton Gillespie
tarleton at microsoft.com<mailto:tarleton at microsoft.com>