[Air-L] Job Posting: Mediated Communication TT Position / University of Arkansas

Sarah Schoemann sarah.schoemann at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 16:05:03 PST 2022

Thank you! As someone who has been in the South for a decade (PhD at GA
tech, now at a public SLAC in SC) I get so tired of hearing people write
off the South as some kind of political wasteland when it’s full of people
of color and urban centers having their votes suppressed. Look at GA. Not
to mention the vital legacy and current culture of resistance to fascism
and white supremacy in the South which brings conversations about race and
racism into everyday discourse in ways that people in other parts of the
country (like the NE, where I’m from) rarely engage with as openly and
directly. The South is politically complex, like every region, but if you
write it off because of right wing politics, where does that leave all the
people who are working to resist?