[Air-L] Migration to Mastodon

sahana udupa sahanaudupa.nk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 03:08:56 PST 2022

Thanks for a great thread,
Robert's optimism is encouraging, while we also need to watch out for how
federated social media networks pan out in different contexts.
Arguing against EU's enthusiasm for small platforms, I had said: Although
the EU proposal to require very large platforms (Facebook, Twitter, and
YouTube) to open up to competitors with mandatory interoperability is
relevant in the pursuit of anticompetition policy objectives, this is not
an obvious solution to the problem of extreme speech. This proposal assumes
that regulating large platforms and fostering smaller players would create
a scenario where “users could freely choose which social media community
they would like to be part of—for example depending on their content
moderation preferences and privacy needs—while still being able to connect
with and talk to all of their social friends and contacts” (EDRi 2020, 4).
This approach, thick with liberal baggage, underestimates the possibility
that this very “marketplace for ideas” could provide an easy way for hate
mongers—as illustrated by alt-right actors—to hop between platforms and
innovate on content. Even more, as emerging scenarios in India suggest,
politically vested interest groups are likely to invest and drive the
market of multiple smaller players toward partisan and divisive messaging.
https://mediawell.ssrc.org/expert-reflections/small-platforms-and-the-gray-zones-of-deep-extreme-speech/

I have just joined a Mastodon instance; comm and media studies scholars
might also find this opt-in list useful to find fellow scholars:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vFWP_eBXrjeDqDkmT6PEbxnsZ_QFC4OgEgUHTrJWhhQ/edit#heading=h.3kytjljlyh06

Best

Sahana

***

Sahana Udupa | Professor of Media Anthropology | University of Munich

New book: https://nyupress.org/9781479819157/digital-unsettling/