[Air-L] Coalition for Independent Tech Research launch!

Jonas Valente jonasvalente at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 10:46:34 PST 2022

Hi,

Congrats! Incredible initiative!! It is super important to have this kind
of alliance, especially now. How can we join?

Kind regards,

Jonas Valente
Researcher, Fairwork project
Oxford Internet Institute

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 6:02 PM Tromble, Rebekah via Air-L <
air-l at listserv.aoir.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> (With the usual apologies for cross-postings...)
>
> I'm absolutely thrilled to share that the Coalition for Independent
> Technology Research <https://independenttechresearch.org/> has officially
> launched today!
>
> The Coalition brings together academics, journalists, civil society
> researchers, and community scientists who work independently from the tech
> industry. And together we seek to advance, defend, and sustain the right to
> ethically study the impact of technology on society. (Read our full
> manifesto here:
>
> https://independenttechresearch.org/manifesto-the-coalition-for-independent-technology-research/
> .)
>
> To this end, we're organizing a number of key activities in the coming
> weeks and months, including:
>
>    - Organizing mutual defense
>    - Promoting and growing funding for research
>    - Creating standards and oversights
>    - Convening communities of practice
>    - Advocacy
>
> And we'd love for folks from the AoIR community to be a part of this. The
> Coalition welcomes both organizational and individual members. You can join
> us here: https://independenttechresearch.org/join-us/
>
> You can also follow the Coalition on Twitter (for as long as it's around)
> here: https://twitter.com/transparenttech.
>
> Rebekah
>
> Dr. Rebekah Tromble
> Director, Institute for Data, Democracy & Politics, George Washington
> University |
> Associate Professor, School of Media & Public Affairs, George Washington
> University |
> Visiting Researcher, The Alan Turing Institute (London) |
> www.rebekahtromble.net
> iddp.gwu.edu

Jonas Valente
http://twitter.com/jonasvalente