[Air-L] Alternative social media != right-wing social media

Robert W Gehl lists at robertwgehl.org
Tue Oct 25 11:24:52 PDT 2022

Apropos of the discussion about where to go when Musk takes over
Twitter, I wanted to share a piece I just posted on The Conversation
pushing back against the tendency in news (and some scholarship) to
reduce alternative social media to right-wing social media sites, such
as Gab:

https://theconversation.com/citizens-social-media-can-provide-an-antidote-to-propaganda-and-disinformation-192491

I'd like us to start talking about citizens' social media (which I
believe the fediverse might be) as opposed to both corporate social
media like Twitter and right-wing social media like Gab.

Perhaps this can inform a bit of the conversation we're about to have at
AOIR about a possible AOIR-run social media site!

- Rob