[Air-L] New Article: Pentagon PSYOP Scandal Demands an Urgent Debate on Propaganda Ethics

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 10:16:07 PDT 2022

Dear Friends and Colleagues,
I hope you are having a good week.
I am writing to share my new article:
"Pentagon PSYOP Scandal Demands an Urgent Debate on Propaganda Ethics
<https://techpolicy.press/pentagon-psyop-scandal-demands-an-urgent-debate-on-propaganda-ethics/>."

Recently the Pentagon launched a review of its social media
propaganda, following a series of Big Tech take-downs of misleading US
PSYOP campaigns. I extensively analyzed the internal resistance and ethical
concerns raised within the Pentagon that preceded the introduction of the
emergent internet tactics in my past research and academic article
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0896920517750741>. It's
beyond time for a wider debate.
My latest article, published today in Tech Policy Press
<https://techpolicy.press/pentagon-psyop-scandal-demands-an-urgent-debate-on-propaganda-ethics/>
raises major concerns over the governance and oversight of these tactics,
it questions the Big Tech companies highly restricted release of the US
propaganda dataset to select researchers, and calls for a deeper review of
PSYOP governance including a much-needed public debate about emergent
technologies we will see in the information wars of our future. I do hope
you find this thought-provoking read and might wish to share this tweet
<https://twitter.com/EmmaLBriant/status/1585626468897390593?s=20&t=5jPGHPNbeI28g7s6fVTFEQ>
or your own thoughts on the piece.
Thanks again as always for your interest in my research!
Best wishes,
Emma

--
Dr Emma L Briant

Owner: Maven of Persuasion LLC
Fellow at Central European University's Center for Media, Data and Society
Associate at University of Cambridge, Center for Financial Reporting &
Accountability
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/emmalbriant
Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk

Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.
Sign up for my Newsletter
<http://emma-briant.co.uk/sign-up-for-important-updates/>!
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant

"I thought yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life but it turns
out today is." - Steve Martin