[Air-L] New CDT Report on Disinformation and Online Abuse Targeting US Women of Color Candidate

DeVan Hankerson Madrigal dhankerson at cdt.org
Thu Oct 27 14:11:38 PDT 2022

Hi all,

Today, CDT published new research documenting the high rates of violent
threats online faced by women of color running for office in the U.S. Our
report shows that political candidates who are women of color are twice as
likely as other candidates to be the subject of mis- or disinformation, and
more than four times as likely as white candidates to be targeted with
violent abuse.

The research builds on a long history of community advocates, and
candidates themselves, raising concerns about this type of harm.

The report calls on social media companies to take more proactive steps to
address this type of abuse, with specific recommendations about how they
can do so. You can read the report and recommendations here
<https://streaklinks.com/BQYFuLf6up1xexKHNQa7apPI/https%3A%2F%2Fcdt.org%2Finsights%2Fan-unrepresentative-democracy-how-disinformation-and-online-abuse-hinder-women-of-color-political-candidates-in-the-united-states%2F>,
and see today’s coverage in The Washington Post
<https://streaklinks.com/BQYFuLj9vRbmv3IFfQyT82Ze/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fpolitics%2F2022%2F10%2F27%2Fwomen-color-running-office-face-higher-rates-violent-threats-online%2F%3Futm_campaign%3Dwp_the_technology_202%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_source%3Dnewsletter%26wpisrc%3Dnl_technology202>,
which highlights the story of Kentucky state Rep. Attica Scott.

Please help us amplify! I know a number of folks on this list are deep in
this work — if you have feedback or want to partner as we keep pushing on
this issue, we would love to connect.

*Suggested Tweet: * Women of color running for office face 4x higher rates
of violent threats online. Critical new report by @CenDemTech highlights
this issue & calls for action to address it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/10/27/women-color-running-office-face-higher-rates-violent-threats-online/

Thank you!
DeVan

--

DeVan Hankerson Madrigal (she/her) | Research Manager

Center for Democracy & Technology | cdt.org

E: dhankerson at cdt.org | M: 202-407-8831 | @dvhankerson
<https://streaklinks.com/BQYFuLjFRfK7uwDr1QrgbZtY/http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fdvhankerson>

*Check out CDT's 2021 Annual Report
<https://streaklinks.com/BQYFuLfZmfVFB57XkgFvLW5-/https%3A%2F%2Fcdt.org%2F2021-annual-report%2F>,
which
highlights our most important work putting democracy and civil rights at
the center of the digital revolution.*
ᐧ