[Air-L] SSN Treasurer Vacancy - Call for Expressions of Interest

Bryce Newell bcnewell at uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 7 15:26:55 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

The Surveillance Studies Network (SSN) is looking to appoint a new Treasurer to our Network and Editorial Board. The text of the call for expressions of interest is copied below. Please share with anyone you feel would be interested and/or consider applying yourself! (But note that the position is limited to persons based in the United Kingdom.) We are excited to add a new member to our board and welcome expressions of interest from academics and scholars interested in surveillance studies regardless of whether they have been involved in SSN activities or governance in the past.

***
Call for expressions of interest: SSN Treasurer

The Surveillance Studies Network (SSN) is looking for a Treasurer to oversee and coordinate the financial affairs of SSN. The Treasurer will also play a role on the SSN's Network and Editorial Board (NEB).
The Surveillance Studies Network (SSN) is a registered charitable company dedicated to the study of surveillance in all its forms. It owns the free access journal Surveillance & Society and runs the biennial Surveillance and Society conference that brings together scholars and artists from all over the world. SSN is governed by an Executive Board of Directors and its day-to-day business, alongside the management of the journal, is completed by members of the Network and Editorial Board. The success and growth of SSN is reliant on the vitality, commitment and dedication of our members who fulfill elected (unpaid) positions on the Board.
We are seeking expressions of interest from academics and scholars within the broad surveillance studies community to join our Network and Editorial Board and assume the responsibilities of Treasurer. As with all SSN NEB and Executive Board positions, this position is unpaid. We anticipate bringing a new Treasurer on board for an initial term of 24 months, with possible extension depending on mutual agreement.
For more information about SSN, see our website at https://www.surveillance-studies.net/ and the website for our journal at http://surveillance-and-society.org<http://surveillance-and-society.org/>.
Eligibility

  *   UK residency. Because SSN is currently registered as a charity in the United Kingdom and our financial accounts and assets are also based predominantly in the UK, this position must be filled by someone who lives and works in the UK;
  *   Applicants should be currently employed within the academic or research community and be involved in surveillance -studies-related research and/or teaching;
  *   Have basic experience with accounting and financial management;
  *   Applicants need not be current SSN members at the time of application, but the successful applicant would be expected to join SSN prior to appointment and maintain SSN membership throughout their tenure in the position.

Responsibilities

  *   Work with the SSN Executive Board and NEB to ensure financial aspects and arrangements of the organization are kept up to date and in conformance with relevant law and regulations;
  *   Draft an annual SSN budget in consultation with the SSN Executive Board;
  *   Communicate with and submit reports to the UK Charity Commission;
  *   Manage and complete financial/excel sheets and work with our Accountant to ensure proper record keeping;
  *   Manage and initiate payments to SSN prize and grant winners;
  *   Liaising with the SSN conference organizing committee about invoices, reimbursements, and other financial matters related to SSN conferences and events.

Deadline and how to apply
The deadline for initial expressions of interest is 30 April 2023. We will review applications on a rolling basis after the deadline if needed and until the position is filled. Please direct any queries to Bryce Newell (SSN Co-Director) at bcnewell at uoregon.edu<mailto:bcnewell at uoregon.edu>.
We ask that you submit your CV and a brief cover letter expressing your interest in the position and how your background gives you the experience or skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Please submit your application materials via the following form: https://forms.gle/7czd7BxYDUju6rz46

***

Bryce C. Newell, PhD, JD
Assistant Professor, School of Journalism and Communication<https://journalism.uoregon.edu/>, University of Oregon
Researcher, Utrecht University School of Law<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/utrecht-university-school-of-law>
Co-Director of the Surveillance Studies Network (SSN)<https://www.surveillance-studies.net/> & Dialogue Editor of Surveillance & Society<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society>
www.bcnewell.com<http://www.bcnewell.com/> | Google Scholar<https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=7kICf7kAAAAJ> | @newmedialaw<http://twitter.com/newmedialaw>