[Air-L] CfP Data, Platforms, and AI for Development

Rafael Grohmann rafael-ng at uol.com.br
Mon Apr 10 15:10:34 PDT 2023

   Dear colleagues,

   We are delighted to invite submissions for a potential special issue
   proposal on "Data, Platforms, and AI for Development." This issue aims
   to explore how big data practices are reshaping the field of
   development and vice versa, by bridging critical research on critical
   data studies and development studies literature.

   We welcome original contributions with a specific focus on the Majority
   World, addressing the entanglements between data, platforms, machine
   learning, and development. We are particularly interested in papers
   that discuss data, platforms and infrastructures, artificial
   intelligence, or any combination of these topics.

   Key themes to be covered include:
    1. Data:
          + Data governance and ownership
          + Data extraction and colonialism
          + Dataset production and labor
          + Data monopolies
          + Data sovereignty and justice
          + Data security and informational autonomy
    2. Platforms and infrastructures:
          + Platform capitalism and governance
          + Platform value chains/production networks
          + Platform labor and geographies
          + Rural-urban transformations
          + Platform cooperatives
    3. AI and cloud computing:
          + Regulating AI
          + AI, human rights, and ethics
          + AI, entrepreneurship, and innovation
          + AI and climate change
          + AI and decent work
          + Automation and labor markets
          + Political geographies and economies of cloud computing

   The full call for papers and special issue description can be accessed
   here: https://tinyurl.com/DevelopmentCfP

   Important dates:
     * Abstract submissions (250 words) deadline: Friday, 9th June 2023
     * Notification of decisions: Monday, 19th June 2023
     * Extended abstract submissions (up to 1,500 words) due: Tuesday,
       22nd August 2023
     * Virtual paper workshop: Friday, 8th September 2023

   Please submit your abstracts to Mohammad Amir Anwar at
   [mohammad.anwar at ed.ac.uk] by 9th June 2023. We especially encourage
   early career researchers to submit their work. Accepted participants
   will be invited to submit an extended abstract, which will be reviewed
   by two other attendees to facilitate in-depth discussions and feedback
   during the virtual workshop.

   We look forward to receiving your submissions and engaging in a
   cross-disciplinary conversation on the phenomenon of platformed and
   datafied development.

   Best regards,

   Mohammad Amir Anwar,
   Nanna Bonde Thylstrup,