[Air-L] Postdoctoral position in philosophy and technology

Sille Obelitz Søe sille.obelitz at hum.ku.dk
Fri Feb 10 00:42:39 PST 2023

Dear All,

I am looking for a postdoc to work with me in my new project Absence of information in decision-making processes (ABSENCE).

The full call for applications can be found here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/?show=158489

Postdoctoral position in philosophy and technology

The Department of Communication, Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen (UCPH), Denmark, invites applications for a full-time postdoctoral position focusing on theoretical investigations of absence of information and automated decision-making to be filled by 1 August 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is part of the Absence of information in decision-making processes (ABSENCE) research project funded by DFF.

The position is for 24 months.

Job content
The project Absence of information in decision-making processes (ABSENCE) investigates the concept of absence and its role in communication in order to advance our knowledge of decision-making processes for humans and machines. The project asks what we can learn from human social intelligence when developing automated systems. Through the focus on absence of information, the project aims to tease out the tacit elements of communication and decision-making in order to understand these in relation to algorithmic processes. On a fundamental level, ABSENCE asks what it means to be human in relation to technology.

The postdoc's research activities will contribute to the aims of the project through conceptual analyses and/or technical developments and applications working at the intersection of philosophy and technology. The successful candidate will be expected to advance the theoretical and philosophical work on absence-based inference in order to inform and advance our understanding of automated decision-making. Further, the postdoc will be expected to conduct expert interviews in order to understand the prospects and pitfalls of new technologies - especially artificial intelligence - in relation to absence and automated decision-making processes.

For more information about ABSENCE, visit the website: https://komm.ku.dk/forskning/information-teknologi-og-relationer/absence/

The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the theoretical and philosophical studies and the conceptual development devised by the project framework - both independently and in collaboration with the project leader Assistant Professor Sille Obelitz Søe. The successful candidate will be expected to publish scientific articles within the context of the project and to participate in the organization of activities and research events within the project.
Best wishes,
Sille

Sille Obelitz Søe
Tenure Track Assistant Professor
Philosophy of Information

University of Copenhagen
Department of Communication
Karen Blixens Plads 8
2300 København S

DIR +45 35 32 14 09
sille.obelitz at hum.ku.dk<mailto:sille.obelitz at hum.ku.dk>
www.komm.ku.dk<http://www.komm.ku.dk/>

- - Selected Publications - -
Sille Obelitz Søe and Jens-Erik Mai, (2022) "Data identity: privacy and the construction of self"
Synthese, Vol 200 Issue: 6, paper 492, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11229-022-03968-5

Sille Obelitz Søe, Rikke Frank Jørgensen, and Jens-Erik Mai, (2021) "What is the 'personal' in 'personal information'?"
Ethics and Information Technology, Vol 23 Issue: 4, pp. 625-633, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10676-021-09600-3

Sille Obelitz Søe, (2021) "Nonnatural Personal Information. Accounting for Misleading and Non-misleading
Personal Information" Philosophy & Technology, Vol 34 Issue: 4, pp. 1243-1262, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13347-021-00457-4

Sille Obelitz Søe, (2021) "A unified account of information, misinformation, and disinformation"
Synthese, Vol 198 Issue: 6, pp. 5929-5949, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11229-019-02444-x

Kira Vrist Rønn and Sille Obelitz Søe, (2019) "Is social media intelligence private? Privacy in public and the nature of social media intelligence",
Intelligence and National Security, Vol 34 Issue: 3, pp. 362-378, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02684527.2019.1553701