[Air-L] AoIR 2023 session on technology-facilitated sexual violence

Chris Dietzel christopher.dietzel at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Feb 22 13:17:51 PST 2023

Hello everyone,

I’m writing to see if there are folks interested in submitting a proposal for AoIR 2023 for a roundtable or a fishbowl on the topic of technology-facilitated sexual violence (TFSV). The purpose of this session is to reflect on TFSV-related research and issues with this field.

Specifically, we would like to discuss challenges and opportunities of doing TFSV research, and we envision this session as providing the space for critical reflections, information sharing, and recommendations. Here are some potential themes and questions we’re interested in exploring:

  *   Theoretical and conceptual issues: How is TFSV defined? What are its limitations? To what extent do the identifiers of “survivors”/”victims” and “perpetrators” apply to TFSV?
  *   Knowledge and research issues: What gaps exist? What are emerging as critical areas in this field? Where should the field go next?
  *   Logistical issues: How do we do research on TFSV? What are some ethical concerns?
  *   Funding issues: To what extent is TFSV a priority in different contexts? Do agencies recognize TFSV as its own field, or is it grouped in with studies on cyberbullying, sexting, etc.?
  *   Partnership and mobilization issues: How do we involve stakeholders? Who are key partners? How do we engage in knowledge transfer/mobilization in meaningful ways?
  *   Personal issues: How do we, as researchers, manage our own health and safety as we study this sensitive topic?

If you’re interested, please send me an email. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christopher Dietzel, Ph.D. (he/him)<https://www.mcgill.ca/definetheline/christopher-dietzel>
Research Associate, the iMPACTS Project, McGill University