[Air-L] AoIR 2023 panel on Identities, polarisation and fandom

Sebastian Svegaard svegaard at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 23 14:43:13 PST 2023

Dear colleagues!

We are working to put together a panel for AoIR around an intersecting theme of fandom & identity, and polarisation & partisanship. How do people form identities and communities online within, besides and against capitalist economics - and in connection or disconnection with their political values?
We currently have 2-3 papers and are looking for more contributors. This is deliberately kept very open, as we are interested in getting a wide range on perspectives, but some rough ideas we had were themes such as:

- Capitalist clashes in internet culture
- Political fandom/fans
- Political communication and identities
- Intersections of identities in religions, fandoms and politics
- Data collection and media consumption intersecting with identity formation
- Everything else that might connect to any of the themes

Please get in touch if you already have a paper that would like a home, have an idea for a contribution or connection, or just want to hear details about the other papers involved already. We're more than happy to shift ideas around to build something together.

References include:

Barnes, Renee. (2022.) *Fandom and Polarization in Online Political Discussion*. Palgrave. [https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-14039-6](https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-14039-6)

Catucci, Nick. (2022.) “The Two Americas: The *White Lotus* Fans and *Reacher* Fans” in *The Atlantic.*

Miller, Lucy. 2020. "*Wolfenstein II* and MAGA as Fandom." In "Fandom and Politics," edited by Ashley Hinck and Amber Davisson, special issue, *Transformative Works and Cultures,* no. 32. [https://doi.org/10.3983/twc.2020.1717](https://doi.org/10.3983/twc.2020.1717).

Petersen, L. N. (2022). *Mediatized fan play : moods, modes and dark play in networked communities*. Routledge. [https://doi.org/10.4324/9781351001847](https://doi.org/10.4324/9781351001847) (edited)

Stanfill, M. and Condis, M. (eds.) (2014.) Special edition of Transformative Works and Cultures on Fandom and/as Labor. [https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/issue/view/16](https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/issue/view/16)

Sebastian F. K. Svegaard
Post-doctoral researcher, Queensland University of Technology
PhD Media Studies
AFHEA
MA Musicology