[Air-L] Online interviews with participants in China

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 18:26:01 PST 2023

Hi Cristina,

This is not a direct answer to your question, but just a note about methodology: The PhD researcher might consider whether it is necessary to do video -based interviews. I mention this since there’s a strong history of text-based interviewing, and capturing video may not be as critical as is often presumed, in terms of building connections, facilitating meaningful interactions and conversations, and eliciting/collecting useful information from participants. Considering what the hoped-for outcome of the interaction is as well as how it will (or could be) analyzed, there might be alternatives that are just as meaningful but less tricky, in terms of technical access and data protection.

FWIW, and all best,

Annette
Annette N. Markham, PhD
Professor of Media and Communication and Co-Director, DERC (Digital Ethnography Research Centre)
RMIT University, Melbourne City Campus, Australia
Professor (MSO, on leave), Information Studies & Digital Design, Aarhus University, Denmark

https://annettemarkham.com<https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fannettemarkham.com%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cannette.markham%40rmit.edu.au%7Cdfa4e910f8fc442fd53008d90e2fbd1b%7Cd1323671cdbe4417b4d4bdb24b51316b%7C0%7C0%7C637556420514566553%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=Q7l9bFKvUJGuYLURhfoHDEr65c5M4QtO9fQVdK0K0eI%3D&reserved=0>
RMIT email: Annette.Markham at rmit.edu.au<mailto:Annette.Markham at rmit.edu.au>
Twitter: @annettemarkham