[Air-L] New report on encrypted messaging apps

Zelly Claire Eliane Martin Geurink zelly at utexas.edu
Tue Jun 27 11:29:25 PDT 2023

 Hi All,

I am writing to share a recent report from our team at UT Austin’s Propaganda Research Lab at the Center for Media Engagement, “Encrypted Messaging Apps and Political Messaging: How they work and why understanding them is important for combating global disinformation.” This report serves as a descriptive guide to six popular encrypted messaging applications (EMAs) and details the role they play in the manipulation of public opinion globally. It also includes a list of further readings on this topic.

You can find it here: https://mediaengagement.org/research/encrypted-messaging-applications-and-political-messaging/

EMAs, such as WhatsApp and Signal, are utilized in the spread of political misinformation in the U.S. and around the world. People are moving their online communications to these apps at rapid rates and are increasingly using them for community gathering, news sharing, and entertainment. Understanding how they work is critical in the effort to combat disinformation.

Our latest report aims to provide valuable knowledge for journalists, policymakers, activists, and the public about the role EMAs play in global disinformation efforts and the manipulation of public opinion. To this end, the report breaks down how EMAs work, shares notable features of popular apps, and provides examples of how EMAs have been used for political manipulation.

Thank you to the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Omidyar Network, Open Society Foundations, and The Miami Foundation for supporting our work.

We hope this is useful for some of you and always love to hear thoughts!

Best,

Zelly

Zelly Martin | PhD Candidate and Graduate Research Assistant

Center for Media Engagement | Moody College of Communication | The University of Texas at Austin

mediaengagement.org/propaganda/<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmediaengagement.org%2Fpropaganda%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7C902c266d1ca346f0bbf108da758b7af0%7C31d7e2a5bdd8414e9e97bea998ebdfe1%7C0%7C0%7C637951539186087039%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=PFDp64b6bsl3PSx9nTmFKqW9FQnUfYOFGksh%2F8%2FmZsM%3D&reserved=0>| @zellycmartin