[Air-L] 15 March @ Concordia University, Evan Light, Obscured Terrain: Researching and Regulating State Surveillance in Canada

Evan Light elight at glendon.yorku.ca
Wed Mar 1 21:46:37 PST 2023

Hi everybody - please come join us either in-person or virtually.

15 March 2023 @ the Milieux Institute, Concordia University, Montreal

12 noon - 13h30 (lunch time seminar)

The scoop:

In recent years, calls for “surveillance reform” have been voiced by
activist and academics alike. What, however, are the surveillance
capabilities of the Canadian state? How can we speak of reform and
regulation if we do not know what it is we want to change? In this talk,
Professor Evan Light (Glendon College, York University) discusses his
efforts to document the surveillance capabilities of the Canadian state
from municipal to national. Through filing hundreds of
access-to-information requests and extensive legal research, the
Deobfuscating State Surveillance in Canada project aims to build the
foundation for changing the ways we are policed, building up activist,
academic and journalistic research tools along the way.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/lunch-time-seminar-with-evan-light-tickets-527212094567

Evan Light, PhD
Associate Professor - Professeur agrégé
Communications program - Programme de communications
Glendon College, York University - Collège universitaire Glendon, Université York
2275 Bayview Ave.
Toronto ON, Canada M4N 3M6

elight at glendon.yorku.ca
+1 416.736.2100 ext: 88596