[Air-L] HDL call for chapters

Jack Qiu jacklqiu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 20:17:19 PDT 2023

Dear all,

We'd like to call for chapter submissions to The Handbook of Digital Labor,
which we are editing for the Global Handbooks in Media & Communication
Research Series, an initiative under the International Association for
Media and Communication Research (IAMCR), to be published by Wiley.

Despite the generic title, we designed this handbook to chart rapidly
changing global labor conditions, challenge boundaries between “online” vs
“off-line” labor, and be a resource book that addresses key debates
surrounding perennial and urgent concerns about labor questions in
contemporary capitalism from a global perspective. While this handbook will
build on existing work, it stresses the reconceptualization of digital
labor in various contexts, connecting them across the sectors and
generations, and is intended to contribute to structural analysis and
intellectual praxis toward emancipatory movements.

This handbook is organized around four themes that are defined
historically, technologically, and internationally in the realms of work
and control, solidarity politics, pedagogy, and imaginaries:

1. Labor Under Capitalism

2. Digital Technologies, Work and Control

3. Solidarity Politics and the Working-Class Majority

4. Pedagogy, Imaginary and Emancipation

In this project, we investigate foundational labor questions as well as
emerging and/or persistent patterns of labor and labor organization under
new conditions such as digital platforms, automation, artificial
intelligence (AI), the ”gig” economy, new divisions of labor, and
alternative developments.

If you are interested, please email a 200-word abstract to us by April 15,
2023. You may choose to submit your chapter to any of the four themes
above, or we can make a decision after reading your abstract. You will be
informed about the review and selection result by May 15, 2023. If
selected, you will need to submit the full chapter, consisting of 6,000 -
8,000 words by August 15, 2023.

Do not hesitate to contact us at jack.qiu at ntu.edu.sg We look forward to
learning about your work on digital labor issues. Please also help us
spread the word. Thank you!

Best,

Jack Linchuan Qiu, National University of Singapore

Shinjoung Yeo, Queens College, City University of New York

Richard Maxwell, Queens College, City University of New York

--
Jack Linchuan Qiu, Ph.D.

Shaw Foundation Professor in Media Technology,
Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information,
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore