[Air-L] examples of qualitative/ethnographic research on NFTs and/or online communities build around blockchain technology

Alexia Maddox alexiamaddox at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 16:21:13 PST 2023

Hi Marie,

I recommend your student looking into the work of Ellie Rennie <https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=GzyUwGoAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate> and Kelsie Nabben <https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=vsPDnMIAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate>, who have taken an ethnographic approach to research within Web3. The following sources may be useful.
Ellie Rennie, Michael Zargham, Joshua Tan, Luke Miller, Jonathan Abbott, et al.. Towards a participatory digital ethnography of blockchain governance. Qualitative Inquiry, 2022, 28 (7), pp.837-847. 10.1177/10778004221097056 . hal-03882048

Nabben K (2023) Web3 as ‘self-infrastructuring’: The challenge is how. Big data & society. 10(1): 205395172311590.

Nabben K (2023) Cryptoeconomics as governance: an intellectual history from “Crypto Anarchy” to “Cryptoeconomics”. Internet Histories. DOI: 10.1080/24701475.2023.2183643. 1-23.

Best wishes
Alexia