[Air-L] RIP Twitter Search API

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Sat Mar 11 14:42:32 PST 2023

   It sounds like maybe you were still using the v1.1 API? It looks like
   v2 is still live...for now.

   On Mar 11, 2023 11:56 AM, Stuart Shulman via Air-L
   <air-l at listserv.aoir.org> wrote:

     The Twitter Search API we have used for gathering data since 2010
     appears
     to be gone. Is the academic API also gone? I have heard the price of
     access
     is prohibitive. What does this mean? Foremost, if you do research on
     Twitter data, back up everything you already have. If you have any
     Twitter
     datasets you are now an archivist with precious cargo. Limiting
     access to
     new data hinders the ability of researchers to understand the
     evolving ways
     in which the platform is used in ongoing information warfare
     operations,
     for example to exacerbate polarization in democratic countries and
     trigger
     future insurrections here in the United States. However, at the
     scale of,
     say a university or even all universities, there is a massive amount
     of
     stored data. One thing I notice about misinformation propagandists
     weaponizing Twitter is they like to stick with what they know
     already
     works. While we figure out how to access and study new data we
     should
     meanwhile be aware that the tactics previously used give important
     clues
     about what is coming. I don't think Mr. Musk bought Twitter to make
     money.
     So the concern for me is more about what other reasons would inspire
     him to
     overpay for a money losing business and then set about changing the
     user
     composition, researchers access, governance mechanisms, and other
     really
     important elements. I am worried specifically that the future power
     users
     able to pay for API access points will shape more of what goes onto
     the
     platform and shows up at the top of the feeds. The general trend is
     disconcerting and dangerous with proto-fascists running about
     banning books
     and Elon platforming white supremacists and their fellow travelers.