[Air-L] Analysis of Whatsapp chat conversations

Sara Leila Margaret Davis sara.davis at graduateinstitute.ch
Sun Mar 19 06:05:45 PDT 2023

Hi colleagues,

Great to see this discussion (and wish I'd had access to it two years
ago!).
Our participatory action research project used messages from closed
Whatsapp groups for young adults living with HIV (our researchers were also
from that community) as part of digital ethnography in a multi-country
study. Our approach was to request permission from the admin of the group,
and then to post a message disclosing the purpose of the study and asking
for objections or concerns. In general it worked fine, perhaps in part
because of the participatory approach. More on our project is here:
https://www.graduateinstitute.ch/DigitalHealth-Rights
and also here: https://gh.bmj.com/content/7/5/e009351
best
Meg

On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 at 05:39, Nemer, David (dn6nn) via Air-L <
air-l at listserv.aoir.org> wrote:

> I had a very productive conversation with the IRB (Institutional Review
> Board, aka research ethics committee) at my institution about my research
> on WhatsApp, Misinformation, and the far-right in Brazil. The groups that I
> researched were considered public groups, which facilitated things in my
> case.
>
> I published this research in my book, Technology of the Oppressed (open
> access):
>
> Chapter 8 - Technology of the Oppressor:
> https://doi.org/10.7551/mitpress/14122.003.0009
>
> I also published my methodologies in detail as an appendix:
> https://doi.org/10.7551/mitpress/14122.003.0011
>
> Best,
>
> --
>
> David Nemer, PhD
>
> Assistant Professor, Department of Media Studies
>
> Faculty Affiliate, Department of Anthropology
>
> Faculty Affiliate, Latin American Studies Program
>
> University of Virginia
>

> Faculty Associate, Berkman Klein Center
>
> Visiting Scholar, Institute for Rebooting Social Media
>
> Harvard University
>

> http://dnemer.com<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.dnemer.com_&d=DwMGaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=YiuGtJJD3zrZhYvlO8RyU_SP7LgxPWQd3lg64IowrfE&m=tWQFWF9kBH-tCTWiqCFxj7r2-pUFjJlOJknMUOBGctfBWdBj6-5cXqxlKeCN2LwW&s=48freqQGgO2zgttfg61ls3NDaIRd3YbhhFFF6ezTnc0&e=
> >

> https://twitter.com/DavidNemer<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_DavidNemer&d=DwMGaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=YiuGtJJD3zrZhYvlO8RyU_SP7LgxPWQd3lg64IowrfE&m=tWQFWF9kBH-tCTWiqCFxj7r2-pUFjJlOJknMUOBGctfBWdBj6-5cXqxlKeCN2LwW&s=VquP41kLfwELjM7ASHhGHxSg_VgD8FR7dsvB-Be4xBQ&e=
> >

> Books:
>
> Technology of the Oppressed (MIT Press, 2022), winner of the Marcel Roche
> Book Award. - https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/technology-oppressed<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mitpress.mit.edu_books_technology-2Doppressed&d=DwMGaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=YiuGtJJD3zrZhYvlO8RyU_SP7LgxPWQd3lg64IowrfE&m=tWQFWF9kBH-tCTWiqCFxj7r2-pUFjJlOJknMUOBGctfBWdBj6-5cXqxlKeCN2LwW&s=75azt_d9BRDzYarzqcgrNvGuKRIY7VnNcs940b7YCU8&e=
> >

> Tecnologia do Oprimido (Editora Milfontes, 2021) -
> https://editoramilfontes.com.br/loja/Tecnologia_do_oprimido<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__editoramilfontes.com.br_loja_Tecnologia-5Fdo-5Foprimido&d=DwMGaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=YiuGtJJD3zrZhYvlO8RyU_SP7LgxPWQd3lg64IowrfE&m=tWQFWF9kBH-tCTWiqCFxj7r2-pUFjJlOJknMUOBGctfBWdBj6-5cXqxlKeCN2LwW&s=BVWo0bG2IzqNrKJyJGj-JFkxJo1lNY37dDl0E7Zi4XM&e=
> >

> Favela Digital: The other side of technology (GSA, 2013) -
> http://favela-digital.com<
> [...]

*Sara ("Meg") Davis, Ph.D.*
*Senior researcher, *Global Health Centre
*Principal Investigator, *Digital Health and Rights Project
<https://www.graduateinstitute.ch/DigitalHealth-Rights>
*Pronouns:* She/hers
*Hours:* I currently work Mondays-Fridays, 2-6pm Ho Chi Minh City time
(8am-12pm CET), unless by prior arrangement.

*Books:*
*The Uncounted: Politics of Data in Global Health*
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/uncounted/C0CC81C0F03D1822D05C13EE31FA0957#fndtn-metrics>
*Song and Silence: Ethnic Revival on China's Southwest Borders
<http://cup.columbia.edu/book/song-and-silence/9780231135269>*

*Ted talk:*
The Uncounted: The people left out of health data
https://www.ted.com/talks/sara_meg_davis_the_uncounted_the_people_left_out_of_health_data