[Air-L] transcription software/services

Aaron S. Veenstra aaron at etchouse.com
Tue Jul 16 08:23:40 PDT 2024

I'm using something that I imagine is similar, MacWhisper (
https://goodsnooze.gumroad.com/l/macwhisper). It looks like they've just
raised the price of a single pro license by €10, but still affordable and
they also do academic discounts. There is also a free version available
that doesn't have access to the bigger language models. It's very good for
English, but my project involves Spanish as well and it's much touchier
there. I'm running it on a baseline 2023 Mac Mini and it typically does an
hour of audio in about 15 minutes.

Aaron

On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 10:46 AM Zenkl, Thomas (thomas.zenkl--- via Air-L <
air-l at listserv.aoir.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm using a software called "aTrain", it's basically a GUI implementing
> OpenAI's "whisper" model. The app downloads the model, runs on your local
> machine without having to upload or share your data and doesn’t require
> programming skills.
>
> https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4594103
> https://github.com/BANDAS-Center/aTrain
>
> Best,
> Tom

Aaron S. Veenstra
Florida Atlantic University
Associate Professor, School of Communication and Multimedia Studies
aveenstra at fau.edu <asveenstra at siu.edu> || manytoomany.com